ON SEPTEMBER 10TH, 2020
We have added support for the latest beta and nightly automated builds on Steam. You can opt-in by right-clicking in the library and selecting the branch you want from the opt-in beta. The generation of these branches is all automated and there are no differences with using the downloads available on github.
We have also added support to generate a soundtrack using all 54 tracks from the game.
This can be created by using the
make soundtrack command from the source code.
This has also been added to steam, and we are working to make this available on other sites
such as soundcloud.
ON SEPTEMBER 2ND, 2020
Since a lot of fairly important stuff in the engine has changed, we have decided to do yet another beta. From this release on we have also moved to semver version notation. For this reason all the version tags on github have been regenerated. We don’t anticipate many issues from now on and expect to release the full version of 0.8.0 shortly. We don’t anticipate too many issues with this beta, but if you try it and find any issues, please report them at the issue tracker. Discussion about the game can also be had on IRC (#naev on irc.freenode.net) or Discord (discord invite).
Some changes from 0.8.0-beta.2:
- Added rarity indicator to ships and outfits
- Changed fonts
- Indicate non-common NPC with exclamation marks
- Added accessory slot and unique accessory outfits as mission rewards
- Added travelling merchant who sells unique items
- Many bugfixes
ON AUGUST 14TH, 2020
Given significant changes since 0.8.0-beta1 we have decided to do another beta before the final release (last one hopefully.) We don’t anticipate too many issues with this beta, but if you try it and find any issues, please report them at the issue tracker. Discussion about the game can also be had on IRC (#naev on irc.freenode.net) or Discord (discord invite).
Some changes from 0.8.0-beta1:
- Improved and simplified the look of the interface
- Interface is much more slick
- Font uses outlines to be more readable
- Simple economy model implemented with map visualizations
- Improved and expanded NPC portraits
- Commodities can be sold/bought everywhere
- Added a “slow mode”, which runs the game at half speed (like an easy mode)
- Added a ship log which records events
- Added a “system map” which displays information about known remote planets
- Added support for giving commands to individual escorts
- New intro images replacing old placeholders
- Increased pirate name variety for bounty missions
- Ships now travel with you automatically for free, as with outfits
- Added map decorators showing locations of factions and the Nebula
- Added a dogfight aiming helper
- More music
- Added some symbols for partial colorblind accessibility
- Many bugfixes
ON JUNE 11TH, 2020
With 3 years since the last release we are happy to announce the first (and likely last with no hiccups) of version 0.8.0. This version contains a ton of fixes and new contents, including major gameplay mechanic changes. We don’t anticipate too many issues with this beta, but if you try it and find any issues, please report them at the issue tracker. Discussion about the game can also be had on IRC (#naev on irc.freenode.net) or Discord (discord invite).
The changelog is as follows:
- Simple economy model implemented
- Made missiles and fighter bays reload while in space
- Modified the balancing of missiles
- Added asteroids and mining
- Improved player GUI
- Brushed GUI is now the default
- Improved and fixed escort system
- Made Pirates and FLF spawn in a fairer way
- Made time pass at different rates for different ships (“Time Dilation”)
- Made piracy missions available from any Independent or black market planet
- Substantially increased pay for unique missions (10x in most cases)
- Made references to the player gender-neutral
- Made combat music vary from faction to faction
- Made it so AI ships spawn with cargo
- Added the ability to buy “fake IDs” from pirate strongholds
- Made jammers into activated outfits that increase cloaking
- Added Soromid organic ships that level up organs
- New and/or improved missions
- Completed the FLF campaign
- Fixed up the Collective campaign
- Improved the Shark (Nexus Shipyards) campaign
- Improved the Dvaered anti-FLF campaign
- Added and improved piracy missions
- New minor Soromid campaign, “Coming Out”
- New tutorial mission at the start of a new game
- Various newly added and improved generic missions
- Added shaders to speed up and improve graphics
- Added support for non-ascii direct character input
- Added support for map decorators
- Removed support for Lua 5.0
- Removed support for SDL 1, only SDL 2 is supported
- Added support for translating
- Made the OSD compact itself to avoid showing redundant information
- Made Autonav able to follow ships
- Consolidated the effects of cloaking and jammers under cloaking
- Added workaround for ALSOFT buggy version that crashes
- Added a polygon-based collision algorithm
ON JANUARY 1ST, 2020
After a longer than expected hiatus, the Naev website is back! It has been completely redone and is also hosted on github.
While development has slowed down, it has not completely stalled. Besides many different bug fixes and code tweaks, some new missions have been added.
Furthermore, although the IRC channel (#naev on irc.freenode.net) still exists, we have also created a discord for the Naev project. You can join it with this discord invite.
Hopefully 2020 will bring more developments in the Naev project. Happy new year to all!